Sunday, February 1, 2009

gold coast vertigo

i may not have internet in my apartment yet, but thank good i can buy 2 hours of internet access at starbucks for $3.99...(i mistakenly believed that all wi-fi was and should be free for paying customers. i can see i was incorrect.)

i've been here for less than one week and now i've got an internship, two roommates, and an apartment in the gold coast. i'm pleasantly surprised at the size of our one-bedroom apartment; i think it feels pretty comfortable and lovely for a three-month lease.

i made my decision regarding the internship; i will be working for tc public relations. i am excited to learn as much as i can about the industry so i can make good use of my communications skills in the professional world someday. on a more disappointing note, the cost of groceries in chicago has shocked my poor half-dutch soul. i bought a carton of orange juice, a half box of saltines, and five cans of soup for $30. yes, my jaw almost dislodged at that jewel u-scan.

i think i'm about over my cold, but i've been getting really dizzy the past two days. it comes and goes, but i've been trying to handle it as best i can. all i can figure is that i've been so stressed out and my head cold is probably messing with my balance. i'll reevaluate my feelings in a day or two, once i can get into a routine and past all the stress of settling.

i'm excited to be in chicago, and it finally feels real. and just so all potential visitors are aware, we have a pull-out sofa in our living room, so guests can sleep in (some version of) comfort.

two more days of orientation, one day off, and internships start on thursday. maybe the harried pace of this week is to blame for my weak constitution.

happy february.

3 comments:

  1. aww I love yoU!
    :D

    yay internship! I hope you really like it, my mom has been asking about you and if you got one. She says hi, and just commented on the fact you have lots of potential!

    welcome to chicago, the land of the paying....
    sorry you feel sick, i miss you lots already i am excited to know you might have a comfy couch! ttyl lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll Fed Ex you some staples (bread, pasta sauce, Szechuan, etc.) as soon as physically possible.

    Try dumpster-diving. That's what has been sustaining me for the last week. In The Big City, I bet the finds would be spectacular.
    Oh wait--you're an adult, with a big-girl internship. Leave the shenanigans to us po' students in MI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can remedy the grocery situation by you taking the El out just a wee bit further and you going to a grocery store NOT in the Gold Coast. Then you can spend the money you save drinking with me and dancing at The Liars Club (no cover before 10:30 and gin and tonics were around $4 each. I felt like I was back in G.R.)

    ReplyDelete